Brighton Fashion Week 2013!

Monday 10 June 2013

Post by Style Memos contributor Emily Sneyd

Aimee Matthew-John

This is it guys, Brighton Fashion Week 2013 kicks off this week and I can barely contain my excitement. After a steady stream of successes, BFW continues to grow in stature – the fashion is always as innovative and eclectic as Brighton is and it's a great week for new and emerging designers to cut their teeth on the catwalks and get propelled forwards into the wider fashion industry.

This year, St Bartholemews, a gorgeous neo-gothic church in the centre of Brighton, is the runway venue and will provide a stunning and atmospheric backdrop for the three catwalk shows.

The Zeitgeist returns as the headliner show and is my personal fave for showcasing the more avant-garde collections. Originality and impeccable tailoring are the perfect combo. Having had a good snoop at the lineup, the designer I'm most keen to see is Aimee Matthew-John. She's a central St Martins' grad with some time put in at Acne studios (LOVE) and she's debuting at BFW with a women's-wear collection based on embellished men's suits with some cool twists. 

I'm also excited to check out Major London 05. Designer Nav Bains is showing a collection using colourful eccentric prints that take inspiration from 90s hip hop trends. It all looks extremely wearable and especially perfect for summer. 

Major London 05

I'm also hoping that I'll be sitting near enough to the runway that I can sneakily swipe some Belles Bejewelled jewellery straight off the models as they strut past – Rebecca Pearson's laser-cut statement pieces look wonderful.

Belles Bejewelled

After Brighton-based Jess Eaton's standing ovation last year for her 'Roadkill Couture' collection, she is returning to the Zeitgeist this year with her new collection 'AIR', using recycled parachutes. My mind was blown last year so I'm very intrigued to see what she's been up to.

And if we're not too exhausted after that, we have two new shows to look forward to this year! 'Sustain' is solely dedicated to showing sustainable and ethical fashion – my eyes will be on Rebecca Jayne Taylor with her high-fashion sportswear collection. And the final catwalk, 'Showreel', will present some of the best in costume design from stage and screen. Although I'm not as wired for this one as the other two, my interest has been piqued by Sarina Poppy and her 1920's femme fatale offerings – I'm still caught up in a romance with 1920's stylings since seeing Gatsby.

It’s also worth noting that with all the fashion aficionados flocking to Brighton this week, there is sure to be some cool street style to gawk at while out and about. Now, what do I wear!?


bloglovin' / facebook / twitter / instagram / pinterest

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Style Memos All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger